romeo and juliet windmill

Although the Taliesin estate had been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973, the critically deteriorated windmill, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1896 and named by him "Romeo and Juliet" because of the tower's interlocking plan elements, was in 1990 the first restoration project under the aegis of the Taliesin Preservation Commission, a state sponsored agency. Taliesin Architects enlisted our firm to prepare construction documents folllowing upon their record drawings and historic structures report. We also participated in restoration decisions and proposed alternative solutions. "Anyone who has ever approached this incomparable complex from the Spring Green road, wrote Jim Murphy in Progressive Architecture in 1992 upon the recommissioning of the windmill tower, "will never forget the structure that announces one's arrival here."

Main Menu Portfolio Firm Special Features News